Monday 14 November 2011

Silver Linings

Dudley and I have moved again. Not through choice and very traumatic at the time. The other liveries displayed an array of feelings from shock to outright tears which helped to soften the blow and offered much by way of consolation. As happens at times like these, human nature is laid bare to gaze upon and to reflect anew the kindness and care that crises so often bring. This was no exception and I was moved to the core by the outstanding consideration shown by Carol in securing us a place to go, and to Hannah, Sue and Chloe for helping us make the move. I am exceedingly grateful and not a little humbled that they should care so much.

I had thought that Dudley was settled at the other place and maybe he was. What I realise now is that he was probably keeping his head down and staying out of trouble. What is very evident in our new abode is that he is happy. In fact, very happy! It`s been some time since he`s played with me, unpicking velcro, removing my hat and generally joshing around with me. He whinnies when I walk up the drive to his stable, his beautiful big, black eyes fixed on my approach. He has a routine that seems to suit him and companions who don`t attack or intimidate him. He`s just a lovely, relaxed, happy pony; a pleasure to behold.

I thought he was settled in the other place. I thought he liked the busyness and the comings and goings. He was a popular pony who attracted attention through his quirkiness and good nature, who kept a blackened eye on all who passed his stable. He had his `corner` in the paddock, the right angle formed by hedge and fence in which he would park his head, backside out, switched off to the world. Was he merely creating space, his place of peace and quiet, much the same as I sometimes do? I don`t know. What I do know is that he is happy now and that, for me, is worth everything, the silver lining of a big, black ground.


No comments:

Post a Comment